Khaman Dhokla is a Gujarati snack but it popular through out India. The best thing about it is steamed and hence, is healthy and low calorie. So, even if your new year resolution says to stay away from fast food, you can relish this quick snack.
Recipe Source: Shveta's Cooking Blog
Khaman Dhokla ~ Savoury Steamed Spongy Chickpea Flour Cake
1 cup chick pea flour
2 tbsp sun flower oil
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp salt
11/2 tbsp sugar
About 1/2 cup water
1 tsp Eno fruit salt
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
4-5 curry leaves
1-2 green chillies slit
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
2-3 tbsp water
2 tbsp sugar
1. In a large bowl add the chickpea flour, salt, sugar, oil and lemon juice. Stir and add water little by little to make a smooth thin batter (a little thinner than cake batter).
2. Place a large pan on heat. Add about a cup of water and a ring on which to place the pan for steaming Dhokla.
3. Grease a 8" sandwich cake tin with oil. Keep aside. Add Eno fruit salt to the batter and whisk lightly. The batter will increase in volume. Pour the batter in the prepared tin and place it in the pan of boiling water. Cover and steam for 12-15 minutes on medium heat. When done, a skewer inserted in the Dhokla will come out clean. Take it off heat and let it cool down.
4. Heat the oil for tempering. When hot, add the mustard seeds and curry leaves. When it splutters add the green chili and red chili powder. Take it off gas. Set aside.
5. Mix water, sugar and lemon juice. Add it to the tempering mixture. Spoon it over the cooled Dhokla Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves. Serve with green chutney, sweet dates and tamarind chutney or tomato ketchup! Enjoy!
Note: You can also add some sesame seeds to the tempering and fresh shredded coconut for garnishing. I skipped it as I didn't have it at hand.
Thank you for stopping by! Cheers!