Sometimes I buy food products only to realize they are not really to my taste. This happened to me again when I bought a big pack of Rice Krispies. I know many people love it and that is what prompted me to buy it. But, soon I realized they are quite bland to my taste. When it comes to cereals, I love the sweet ones. So, this pack of Rice Krispies sat in my pantry unused for a rather long time.
Recently, we had a tea party at one of my friends place and one of my friends brought this Rice Krispies Chiwda. I loved the crunchy snack and immediately asked her for the recipe. Soon, I tried it at home with a few tweaks and loved the results. I am sure my long unused pack of rice krispies will be over soon and I won't hesitate to buy it again! With little oil, brown rice puffs and no frying - it is a very healthy snack.
Instead of Rice Krispies, we can add puffed rice. Here comes the recipe:
2 cups Rice Krispies
3 tbsp cashew nut halves
3 tbsp golden raisans
2 dried red chillies torned.
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
7-8 curry leaves
2-3 tbsp oil.
1/4 tsp turmeric powder.
1/4-1/2 tsp red chilli powder.
Salt to taste.
1 tsp sugar.
1. Heat a deep pan. When heated add oil. Add red chillies, curry leaves, mustard seeds and fennel seeds.
2. Once they splutter add cashew nuts and toast them till they are light golden. Then add the raisans and all the spices.
3. Give a stir and add the rice krispies. Give another good stir and turn off the gas. Give it a good shake. Make sure the spices and salt is evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
4. Let it cool completely before storing.
5. Enjoy with a cup of tea and newspaper!
Linking it to Fast Food Not Fat Food. This event is the brain child of Priya.
Warning: Once you start munching it, it is hard to stop :-)! But, don't worry, its healthy stuff.