Egg less Bakes is a group started by Gayathri and for the first edition she chose a egg based coconut cake recipe. All the participants had to try out an egg less version and post it on their blog on a specified date. To know more about it and participate, check this.
I have made a lot of changes to the original recipe. I have halved the recipe and have substituted half of the flour with whole wheat flour, butter with oil and have used a combination of yogurt, baking soda and coconut milk to substitute the eggs. Lets hop to the recipe to see how I have made it.
1/2 cup AP Flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp caster sugar
1/2 dessicated coconut
1/4 cup yogurt
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
1. Preheat the oven at 175 C and grease and dust a 7" square pan.
2. In a large bowl sieve the flours, baking powder, baking soda.
3. Add sugar and dessicated coconut and whisk such that the mixture is uniform.
4. Make a hole at the centre of the mixture and add all the wet ingredients one by one and whisk till the batter is well incorporated. Do not over beat. The batter consistency is on the thicker side, yet of pouring consistency.
5. Bake it at 175 C for 35- 40 minutes till a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
6. When baked, let it sit over 15 minutes and then invert it on a wire rack. When it cools completely slice and serve.
The cake had a slight crust, but was soft inside. The coconut flavour was good although freshly grated coconut will give a more prominent flavour. All in all I am satisfied with the results as far as texture is concerned. But the cake was a little less sweet and the coconut flavour was not as prominent as I would have liked. So next time I make it I would like to use 1 cup of freshly grated coconut and increase the sugar to 3/4 cup.
Thanks for stopping by. Cheers!